When I painted my formerly lime Character Room, it was to breathe life into a dark, north-facing room I rarely entered. I wanted a happy, bright space for when I worked out or did the occasional freelance job. But a color that’s invigorating for an hour on the odd evening isn’t necessarily the one I want to soak in for eight plus hours, five days a week.
Plus I’ve always hated the carpet in that room. It’s the softest in the house but the uninspired color of weak chocolate milk.
After I found myself avoiding going into that room for two weeks straight, I knew a change was in order. I was on the verge of ordering a color from Backdrop (I’ve used their paint in four other rooms) when my mom texted to say she was running to Lowe’s, so I took it as a sign. I painted the room that evening to a rewatch of Downton Abbey (we bid farewell to Mr. Pamook as I was nearing the closet). I’ve always liked Valspar, but their paint is even better than it used to be. It only took one coat to cover the walls with almost no touch-up the next day.
I only spent $58 for one can of flat Valspar paint/primer, a 3-pack of rollers, and a little tub of lightweight spackle. I sourced art/furniture from around the house. My desk (which you can’t see in the after pic) is under the window, so I have a pretty view and the room feels much brighter. Ilyusha the lucky bamboo seems much happier in here than the bathroom, and provides a visual buffer between the doorway and the new seating area.
List of stuff:
- The orange bicycle print on the back wall is Zest by Florent Bodart
- The large print above the dogs is Addiction by Yohey Horishita (my current favorite piece of art)
- Marble door stopper from CB2
- Desk from the Martha Stewart / Home Decorators collection (10+ years old)
- Ottoman/twin-bed-pullout was from Overstock.com & is out of stock (I bought it in 2010)
- Striped cotton blanket was a Causebox exclusive
- Floofy cream pillow covers from Pottery Barn (2011 catalog)
- Bamboo tissues from Who Gives a Crap
- Lucky bamboo & white pot are from Lowes. Ilyusha is named after a character from 07-Ghost
- Marble shelf liner (used to cover my marked-up desk) is from Lowe’s
- The leaf dish was a gift from a friend (I always collected leaves on my desk at work, and she knew I wasn’t doing that now that we work from home)
- My chair is covered in leftover Tommy Bahama fabric I had around the house. I just used a staple gun to cover the seat, which had started to tear from overuse
- I have no idea where my mom found the metal side table 🙁
- I put the Gaspar Luggage Rack from Ballard Designs next to my desk to hold blankets & the bag I stuff with office supplies and carry around the house (I often work in the kitchen when it’s sunny)
- My elliptical is an older Sunny model I bought years ago from Overstock.com
- The dogs are lying on their lounge bed from Jax and Bones (I think we got the Newport Wood in medium)
- The Star Trek pillow was from ToBoldlyHold on Etsy
- The three-legged brass lamp on my desk is from Target (it’s a few years old so I don’t know if they still have the same style, but they always have a slew of lamps)
- Sun Versus Moon and Lil Diver in a Half-Full, Half-Empty Situation prints from Taylor Winder on Society6